Sunday, October 6, 2013

OUGD401 Context Of Practice - Studio Brief 1 - Task 2

The original mosaic that can be seen outside of the Vernon Street Building

I understand that the hexagons originate from the mosaic but I don't understand the rationale behind the use of colour,  possibly tying to communicate the creativity of the college however if viewed without the logo, I get a sense of a childs play group. The composition does lead the eye away from the hexagons to the top right.

I do like the new logotype, the semi serif typeface keeps its origins from the mosaic while adding a horizontal serif on the A portrays a contemporary, expressive sense. The gold foiling also adds a sense of value. I also appreciate the irregularity of the number characters, also adding to this expressive sense.  

The hexagons appear on the back of the prospectus too, they appear without an opaque image here. Without an image, the aesthetic does appear weaker and does carry on this potential to be a brochure for a childs play group.

The sans serif typeface used is rather contemporary and does contrast with the serif typeface used in the logotype. This contrast does work in communicating a modern association with classic values.

This use of opaque print through the book does make the publication more interesting while expressing creativity and innovativity. I do think this prospectus is a lot better than the prospectus I looked at before applying to the college however as my opinion becomes more informed, I can see a few things I would like to change .


No comments:

Post a Comment