Friday, May 15, 2015

OUGD501 / Context Of Practice / Intent

Statement of Intent

What am I creating:

A publication that creates discourse with its reader, I intend the work to question preconceived of 'Good design' - not by suggesting the work is better but by deconstructing the pre conceived idea of 'Good design' itself.

I am to re-design a selection of pages from Jan Tschichold's 'The New Typography', primarily as an act of satire and to emphasise a questioning of 'Good design' principles, in which the publication is reknowned for setting. The principles in the book are still commonly practiced and create the Modernist saturation of current publications (although JT was to later criticise his work).

Synthesis:

My Essay focused around the Modernist influence on Contemporary typography, in both negative and positive manners, negatives such as Modernism's oppression and censoring on contemporary design juxtaposed by it's undeniable rationality of form following function.

In an objectifying sense:

'The New Typography' (in which I am redesigning) represents Modernism (literally and conceptually) as a summary of it's principles. I am more than merely crticising the books content, I am criticising what the book represents; Modernism, Singularity and the oppression it has created in the design world ( Modernism taught as 'good design', the presenting of 'rules' are only a couple of examples of this oppression I have covered in my essay)

The manner in which I am to redesign the publication objectifies Contemporary Graphic Design principles (Individuality, Expression, Innovation, Rebellion).
Similiar to David Batchelor's OCTOBER redesign, I am implying my own thoughts and ideas into the book (A Postmodern practice if I may add).

The redesign is an act of criticism, in a satirical yet informed manner, I insist this is more than a thoughtless process:

 I am objectifying my rebellion against the oppression Modernist principles have created in Contemporary Graphic Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment